Post War English & Scottish Football League A - Z Player's Database
This site contains A - Z player's career details for all Post War English and Scottish League sides ( click on the club below or the alphabetically listed team names on the left for player's career details).
The records are for players who appeared for their clubs between 1946/47 and the end of the 2012/13 season and who have now left their clubs (current players can be viewed on www.soccerbase.com ).
The English League player's appearances and goal scorers statistics are drawn primarily from Barry Hugman's 'The Premier and Football League Player's Records' series of books, for which I am extremely grateful for his permission to use .
Note that for Scottish League records I have only included teams in Divisions A and B prior to the League reorganisation in the 1955/56 season. Division C teams records are excluded as the majority of clubs competing in this league were reserve teams from the A & B Divisions. For a full explanation of the events leading up to the reorganisation in 1955/56 read HERE. ( an article kindly provided by Alan Bell - Berwick Rangers historian).
This Site will be updated at the end of the season for all players leaving their clubs during the 2013 - 2014 season.
SCOTTISH LEAGUE PLAYER'S PLACES AND DATES OF BIRTH
Prior to the publication of the 1st edition of the Scottish Football League Review in 1982/83 the places and dates of birth of Scottish League footballers were not widely published. As a result of this I have several thousand post-war Scottish players where I can not complete a full record. If you are one of these players or are related to or are a friend of one of these players please e-mail me and I will complete a full record.
I would also be delighted to hear from any fans ( or ex - players) concerning those players who have a ' ? ' in the 'Transferred to' column ( this means I don't know what happened to these players when they left the clubs ).
Premier League : Arsenal, Aston Villa, Cardiff City, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Everton, Fulham, Hull City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Norwich City, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Swansea City, Tottenham Hotspur, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United,
Football League Championship : Barnsley, Birmingham City, Blackburn Rovers, Blackpool, Bolton Wanderers, Bournemouth, Brighton & Hove Albion, Burnley, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Doncaster Rovers, Huddersfield Town, Ipswich Town, Leeds United, Leicester City, Middlesbrough, Millwall, Nottingham Forest, Queens Park Rangers, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday, Watford, Wigan Athletic, Yeovil Town.
Football League Division One : Bradford City, Brentford, Bristol City, Carlisle United, Colchester United, Coventry City, Crawley Town, Crewe Alexandra, Gillingham, Leyton Orient, Milton Keynes Dons, Notts County, Oldham Athletic, Peterborough United, Port Vale, Preston North End, Rotherham United, Sheffield United, Shrewsbury Town, Stevenage, Swindon Town, Tranmere Rovers, Walsall, Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Football League Division Two : Accrington Stanley, Bristol Rovers, Burton Albion, Bury, Cheltenham Town, Chesterfield, Dagenham & Redbridge, Exeter City, Fleetwood Town, Hartlepool United, Mansfield Town, Morecambe, Newport County, Northampton Town, Oxford United, Plymouth Argyle, Portsmouth, Rochdale, Scunthorpe United, Southend United, Torquay United,. AFC Wimbledon, Wycombe Wanderers, York City.
Former League Clubs : Aldershot Town, Barnet, Barrow, Boston United, Bradford Park Avenue , Cambridge United, Chester City, Darlington, Gateshead, Grimsby Town, Halifax Town, Hereford United, Kidderminster Harriers, Lincoln City, Luton Town, Macclesfield Town, Maidstone United, New Brighton, Rushden & Diamonds, Scarborough, Southport, Stockport County, Workington, Wrexham,
Please e-mail me if you have any information to do with the player's details (including any errors you may spot ! ).
Key to Player's Details columns
1. Player's Names - Listed in alphabetical order, firstly by surname and then by christian name. Players who have had more than one spell at a club have their details shown separately for each spell at the club. (AM) after the name denotes an Amateur player, (N/C) denotes a Non-Contract player.
2. Position - G -Goalkeeper, FB - Full Back, CD - Central Defender, D - Defender, M - Midfield, F - Forward, W - Winger. I have also used original playing positions for players up to and including the sixties i.e. WH - Wing Half, CH - Centre Half, IF -Inside Forward, CF - Centre Forward.
3. Seasons - e.g. 97-98 denotes the player appeared during the 1997 - 1998 season. 94 - 97 denotes appearances made between the 1994-95 season and the 1996-97 season (inclusive).
4. Source - Shows previous club prior to playing League football. Other sources include Jnrs - Junior players signed without serving an apprenticeship or Youth Trainee course. App. - Apprentice, YT - Youth Trainee.
5. Transferred to - shows club transferred to when leaving.
Key to colour text : -
Newcastle United - English League Club
(Newcastle United) - Full time professional but did not appear in First Team
Altrincham - English or Welsh non - league club
Dundee - Scottish League club
Linlithgow Rose - Scottish Non-League Club
Linfield - Irish Club
Real Madrid - Non - U.K. Club
? - I do not know what happened to the player when he left the club - if you know please e-mail me.
Note : Where the player has not directly joined another League Club I have shown the first club that I know him to have played for after leaving. If he played for any other club prior to the one I have listed please e-mail me.
6. Appearances - League appearances only including substitute appearances.
7. Goals - All league goals.
8. Loan Spells - Note that loan spells only include loans with English and Scottish League sides. i.e. loans with foreign clubs or non-league clubs are not included.
. since 1st June 2001